Friday, June 05, 2009

Athens is a shit hole. I know that that is awfully strong, but seriously. It's nasty. There are cigarette butts everywhere, and the ground is flat out dirty. I cannot wait to get to the islands. Not to mention that the guys are way more forward than they ought to be. They have all ready harassed Mary/us too much for my liking. 1. I don't know you. 2. You're in my personal space. 3. No, I don't want to do whatever it is you're asking about. 4. Do not touch me. 5. Eff off. It's insane. I'm really not a fan. I also hate begging. I mean, I want to help humanity as much as the next person, but let me do it on my own terms. Leave me the eff alone. I guess they have to ask, but ask once and back off. Geeze. Also, there was this little girl carrying around lighters and keychains. I don't know if someone is making her do it or not, but if they are, I'm pissed. To take advantage of a child like that. It's unforgivable. I just can't stand it. Also, there are supposedly tons of stray dogs around here. That also gets to me. If you are reading this, you probably know I love animals, and that kind of blatant disregard pisses me off. Obviously, I am not having the best time so far. OH! Also, people need to work on their customer service skills. Okay, yes, I am a tourist, but would it kill you to smile and say hello? Come on! How do you expect to make money with that kind of service...semi-ignore us while glancing up every now and again. Maybe she didn't understand our English, but she could have smiled.

Okay, rant over. In other news, the Aran Islands were beautiful. We were exhausted from riding bikes all over the island, but it was worth it. We made it to Sixmilebridge in Ireland, and the hostel (Jamaica Inn), was not what I expected. It was bright and colorful, and the facilities were decently clean, but it wasn't close to anything; they had no computers; hardly anyone was there; we stayed in an eight bedroom with an older woman who had flatulence issues; I couldn't wait to leave. They told us that Bunratty Castle was within walking distance. About that. It is about 7 kilometers (3.5ish miles) 'down the road'. Yes, we walked it, and it was ridiculous. We made it to the castle and folk grounds which really were pretty neat and had to be to make up for such a long walk. We saw houses from the 16th to early 19th century, Bunratty Castle, and lots of animals (pony, horse, cows, sheep, random deer, etc.). I guess I know I'm more interested in the animals than the history. Anyway, it was just fine. We opted for the cab ride home at 10 euros. Better than walking another 3.5 miles. We returned, ate, showered, crashed, got up around 3:45, met our cab at 4:15 and made our way to Shannon Airport. We made it to Greece without incident. Just a lot of exhaustion. Here we are, and I cannot wait for Liz and Lyd to get here. I think we'll feel safer with them around. Four are better than two, and we'll get our own bathroom.

Love to you all!

1 comment:

Sasha F. said...

Stores that stay open past 5pm .... and restaurants/bars that stay open past 11pm.