Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I don't think I've posted in a while. We went to the Cliffs of Moher yesterday, and they were spectacular. I definitely recommend going if you get the chance to go. We basically did a tour of the Burren and the Cliffs with Desmond Murrey (sp?). He was great! Very friendly and goofy and an all around good tour guide. Ireland, at least near Galway, is covered in Limestone, and it's all cracked and broken from the ice age about 10,000 years ago. There are no tress, just shrubs and flowers growing up through the cracks. They have all these really cool stone walls that are built everywhere too. I can't imagine living at a time when you would need to build the stone walls and how long that took to do! When we got back, we went to the grocery store and hung out with Sophie and Stephanie--two girls from the hostel. There is a world sailing race, and the sailors are here for two weeks, so that's fun. We haven't seen the races, but we have seen the racers wandering around. We went to one pub...don't remember what it's called. I had a sip of Guinness as promised, but I then just had to have my Bolmers cider. It was decent. We went to the King's Head to listen to some live music. We met some people from D.C., Chicago, Italy, and Puerto Rico. I don't remember their names. Stephanie is from Germany and Sophie is from California. Good times all around. I let Mary return to the hostel by herself, and afterwards, I was super mad at myself for allowing that. I should have just gone back with her. I would have been happier that way. The girls were nice, but they wanted to keep partying, and I wanted to sleep. Bleh. I won't let Mary out of my sight again, nor anyone else!

Today we went to the Aran Islands. Inis Mor to be exact. It is 7 miles long and 2 miles wide. We took quite a treck around the place via bicycle. I was soooo tired. Mary was awesome and didn't get off the bike. I had to walk up a few hills. I thought I would die! We saw lots of horses, cows, old crumbling buildings, rock walls, and there were even a few beaches. There were a couple seals playing in the water, but they were really far off. It was a long day with a lot of sun, so we got back, printed things off, had dinner (pb & j, woo!), and now I'm here updating. Hope all is well at home. I'm feeling a little homesick right now. This is quite a long trip!

No comments: