Sunday, August 03, 2008

Jane Lindskold is the author of a series of seven books about wolves. Well it's about a woman (Firekeeper) who is raised by wolves, her wolf companion Blind Seer, and what happens to the two of them as they become involved with humans. Anyway, I enjoy the books and would recommend them as fun reads for anyone who likes to read about characters that are developed really quite well. Anyway, here's one long set of quotes that I enjoy:
"Meddler, I have thinked..."
"Thought," Derian muttered reflexively.
"Thought a great deal about this," Firekeeper continued, choosing her words with care.
A long time ago, Derian had told her a poorly chosen word was like tainted water and could create sickness. Then she had not believed him, but now she had seen enough that she knew her friend had been right.
"In my thinking," she went on, "I have tried to understand what is meant by love. First, I thought about mating, but I think that love is more than mating. Humans are different than wolves in this, because they are in season almost all the time and so their heads confuse desire and love. I think this is one way the wolf way is wiser. Wolves are only in season for a short time each year, and even then, for the good of the pack, only the Ones breed."
She drew in a deep breath, knowing she was oversimplifying, but knowing this must be said, even if this talk of mating was making Derian's face turn a little red.
"Wolves understand," Firekeeper continued, "that love is for more. Love is trusting someone will guard your back. Love is knowing that when you are wounded, that your loved one will drag food to where you are fallen. Love is knowing that you would do this for the other, even if doing that means going hungry for yourself. Love is knowing that when you die, someone will care enough to sing of you to the moon."

It's a long quote, but I enjoy it. There's more to it, but I don't want to ruin anything if anyone reads it. Good times though. Read them if you're so inclined.

No comments: