Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Inefficiency plagues us all. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I learned while working at Scoops that it's okay to take things into your own hands. If you see a problem at work, at home, wherever, it's okay to fix it! Being a new and young employee at the time, I saw problems and did not fix them. One of my co-workers saw a problem and took it into her own hands to fix it. That was such a great lesson for me to learn. Though it may seem simply or obvious to some of you, this was not so for me until that day. Since then, I have taken things that I see as a problem into my own hands to make them better. Documents at one of my offices are more automated. Scoops kept up with (and still keeps up with to this day I hope) a list of drinks and recipes so no one has to ask over and over. The labels at the shelter are now laminated so they can be cleaned with water without replacing them every week or two weeks. These are simple things that make life easier. I cannot stand such problems when there are easy ways to fix them. Life would be so much better if things were done quickly and efficiently. Here's my only problem with my plan. The faster things get done, the more free time there is right? Wrong. The faster you get it done, the more work gets piled on. There has to be a balance in here somewhere.

No comments: